The Church of St Andrew, Wimpole
St Andrew’s church replaces an earlier fourteenth century building that was largely demolished in 1748 as part of the landscaping of Wimpole park. The medieval north chapel, now dedicated to the Chicheley family, the builders of Wimpole Hall, is all that remains of the original structure.
The present building was designed by Henry Flitcroft and was completed in 1749. Notable features are monuments by James ‘Athenian’ Stuart, Peter Sheemakers and Thomas Banks, and in the gallery, stained glass windows by William Price the younger. A rare medieval window depicting the alliances of the Ufford family (who are thought to have owned the manor of Wimple [sic] sometime before the Chicheleys) is to be found in the Chicheley chapel.
The Parish Church of St. Andrew, Wimpole stands next to the National Trust Property of Wimpole Hall and within Wimpole Park.
The church is normally open on a daily basis from around 09.30hrs and closes at around 17.00hrs. The churchyard is open at all reasonable times.
This church is a place of prayer and worship, which extends welcome to all who come.
We seek to share the love of God amongst the generations in this parish and beyond.
Parking is by using the National Trust’s Wimpole Park car park (pay and display). There is an uneven churchyard and path to the church. Stepped access up into the church and steps down into Chicheley chapel as well as steps up into Chancel. Heated. We welcome those with asistance dogs. No toilets. Guidebook.